[OSM-talk] Google Maps maps most of Europe

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Tue Apr 25 16:39:27 BST 2006

Paul Neave wrote:
> As far as competition goes, that's a lot of it:
> http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/2006/04/big-news-google-maps-street-maps-for.html

If anyone has looked at the data for Ireland, it looks clear to me that
the Tele Atlas didn't buy the data from Ordnance Survey Ireland, and the
data looks about as complete as OSM has for the UK.

Follow the M50 around Dublin and find that they've labelled it as
"Around the Wicklow mountains".. which if you follow the roads down
towards a really incomplete Wiklow, you'll find a main road with a name
of "Around the Wicklow mountains".

Also, the way that Google have merged in the France data makes the
channel tunnel look very, er, interesting. I'm sure it wasn't a road
going out into the sea the last time I drove along the coast road near
Calais.

--
Simon Hewison