[OSM-talk] Google Maps maps most of Europe

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Tue Apr 25 16:47:37 BST 2006

On 4/25/06, Joerg Ostertag <openstreetmap at ostertag.name> wrote:
> They had a report on German TV lately.
> As what I remember; they drive around with vans equipped with cameras and gps
> record everything send this to Asia and people there sit in front of there
> computers and examine the videos and convert this data to get vector data.

I believe Navteq actually do all of this themself. I'm not sure if
they base their info off existing mapping data - they probably do
occasionally at least - but they definately go out and drive the roads
with high precision GPS units and where possible they update their
database as they go along. People have different areas assigned to
them that they go out and drive then bring the data back to the office
and make sure they represent it all in the database. The great thing
about that is that they don't have to rely on the data other people
give them so they have their own value-add then in making sure they
map exactly everything they want to map. Sounds familiar, eh.

If Google used Navteq data instead of Teleatlas, they'd have the Isle
of Man covered, as they drove it all last year if I recall correctly.

Now if only I can convince some Manx people to help me categorise all
of the data I've put in (with the help of Nick [and family] and Rob)
but neglected to tag as I went along.

Dan
(forgot to reply to list, sorry for the dup Joerg)

--
Dan Karran
dan at karran.net
www.dankarran.com