[OSM-talk] Mapping IoW (I'm a new person with possible interest indoing something)

Tue Apr 25 16:40:58 BST 2006

Quoting Timothy Fintan Langner <timflang at btinternet.com>:

> Having said that if the footpaths exist on out of copyright maps then
> they wouldn't need to be captured. Or would they? Am I right in
> assuming that only changes are being captured as opposed to everything?
> Are the out of copyright maps being digitised first?

By and large, footpaths aren't actually shown on out-of-copyright UK
maps. Right of way mapping only really came in with the Ordnance
Survey 7th series, which is not yet out of copyright:

http://www.bl.uk/collections/map_guide_row.html

Out-of-copyright maps will be used to supplement the GPS mapping that
we do, rather, I think, as the main base source. We (I) do have the
whole New Popular Edition scanned, which is 1in-to-the-mile coverage
of England and Wales, but these need orthorectification (currently in
progress) before they can be used as a base layer for OSM editing.

Richard