[OSM-talk] Mapping IoW (I'm a new person with possible interestindoing something)

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Apr 25 18:44:45 BST 2006

Sent by:        talk-bounces at openstreetmap.org
To:     "Talk Openstreetmap" <talk at openstreetmap.org>
cc:
Subject:        Re: [OSM-talk] Mapping IoW (I'm a new person with possible
interestindoing something)

>I have no intention of copying from copyrighted maps. What I meant was
that
>I believe there is nothing in the copyright law against using an
up-to-date
>maps to check your work or navigate your way around. As long as you don't
>copy from the map when creating your own maps, one is not liable for
>copyright breeches. So I was thinking, if I did check footpaths, of using
>up-to-date maps to locate the footpaths that need adding (with my eyes)
and
>them walk them with my GPS.

I'm not 100% sure, but I *think* that it would be violating copyright law
to copy the status of a footpath from an OS map. However, I also *think*
that the footpath status indicated on the County Council definitive maps
is public domain (however they are typically overlaid on a copyrighted OS
map). Don't take this as advice (IANAL), I'm as much asking the question
as answering it. Anyone more certain of this?

Nick