[OSM-talk] Mapping IoW (I'm a new person with possible interestin doing something)

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Tue Apr 25 21:39:38 BST 2006

On 4/25/06, Etienne Cherdlu <openstreetmap-L at gj0.net> wrote:

> Hmmm.... Suppose I look at a copyrighted map to find the best way to
> get from London to Isle of Wight and memorise it.  Suppose the map
> shows me a really good route that saves me 90 minutes.  Suppose I then
> I travel there using that route but at the same time record the route
> using GPS and then use that information to make a map, have I
> infringed any copyright?

My guess is, that would be fine (but IANAL). I don't think there's
anything wrong with using maps or any other copyrighted material for
reference. Like with any other copyrighted work though, the direct
copying of that information would likely infringe the copyright.

If you're using a map for reference and then go out and use that
knowledge to collect that information yourself, how is that different
from reading an article and summarising that in your own words?

Dan

--
Dan Karran
dan at karran.net