[OSM-talk] Mapping IoW (I'm a new person with possible interestindoing something)

Andrew Loughhead andrew at incanberra.com.au
Wed Apr 26 14:32:00 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 19:04 +0100, Tom Carden wrote:
> On 4/25/06, Dan Karran <dan at karran.net> wrote:
> > On 4/25/06, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not 100% sure, but I *think* that it would be violating copyright law
> > > to copy the status of a footpath from an OS map. However, I also *think*
> > > that the footpath status indicated on the County Council definitive maps
> > > is public domain (however they are typically overlaid on a copyrighted OS
> > > map). Don't take this as advice (IANAL), I'm as much asking the question
> > > as answering it. Anyone more certain of this?
> >
> > I'm no more certain than you Nick but I'd say that you wouldn't be
> > copying the status of the footpath from the map, more using the map to
> > find footpaths and then using any information from signage (they're at
> > least signposted with a green man, aren't they?) as the information to
> > tag the tracks with.
> >

> I agree with Dan: if you're using copyrighted maps to find things to
> survey, please collect evidence of the path status, road name, etc.
> from the real world too.  If there's no evidence there, don't blindly
> copy it from the map no matter how sure you are it's correct  - it
> might be an easter egg.  Sad but true.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Copyright_Easter_Eggs

To bring up again my question of a few days ago (and thanks for the
thoughtful responses), would not geocoded photos of signs be a great,
and perhaps the best, form of evidence?

The cautions on the website and list, against using copyright sources of
information to add to OSM, are very sensible, but is there a lack of
built-in defense, in OSM, against allegations of copyright infringement?
I am thinking especially of feature names.  Clearly the GPX files
provide great evidence of someone having physically visited a location
or traversed a route.  But what provides evidence of someone physically
collecting the feature name?

I have been reading the "OGL, OSM, NASA" thread, and children, with
interest.  I can't help wonder, if OSM had built in to it great evidence
that all OSM data is clean, that people might feel more relaxed about
fusion products that mix OSM data and 3rd party data?  What would we
have to fear, if every named way had attached to it a reasonable body of
evidence, such as georeferenced photos of signage, that OSM people had
been there and gathered the data?  Perhaps OSM could make it hard to
name a way, unless such photos were also contributed?

Or perhaps I am missing some aspect of the copyright concerns. In any
case, thats enough of a rant for a newbie!

cheers
Andrew