[OSM-talk] Apologies

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Wed Apr 26 00:08:59 BST 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 10:56:23PM +0000, Tom Carden wrote:
> Brief reply, because people have already clarified that it's only
> putting OSM alongside Google Maps we don't like - manipulating and
> presenting the data in new ways is *what it's all about* :)

But manipulating data means that anyone could put it on top of Google
Maps. and then we'd have the same problem all over again. So it's
probably best to just not allow that, isn't it? If it's dangerous to the
project to see OSM + google maps associated together, providing the
tools to let people easily do this is a bad idea... unless I'm
misunderstanding. I mean, if I published a WMS server, there's nothing
to stop someone else from setting up exactly what I did, and far more
easily than is currently possible.

> Public apology much appreciated - like I said earlier today the
> feedback is useful, but apart from the documentation problem (which
> you already fixed) the other things weren't news to anyone who has
> read the list much in the last couple of months.

But I haven't. After the last 100 message license debate, I got tired of
the fact that people were spending hours upon hours arguing over the
most minute detail repeatedly with no resolution. So I left, and I
probably shouldn't have come back, as doing so has only succeded in
making clear my frustrations, which is never a good thing to do in a
volunteer project.

> I hope you stick around and find a way to contribute, and to consume
> the data as you see fit.  If you can set up, run and maintain a WMS
> server based off planet.osm then fantastic - that will take the strain
> off OSM's own machines until they can cope.

Well, my previous patches to the code for issues in trac were all
completely ignored, so I'm glad that I at least got people to ask me not
to do what I was doing -- that's better than being ignored.

> As for picking a bounding box, that should be possible using OSM's
> tile code.  It's a little flaky right now and could use some love, but
> it basically works.  I've got some stuff in the works that should help
> a lot with this in the coming months.

Eh. If someone else wants to set this up, let me know, but I don't have
the time at the moment to learn yet another tile mapping interface.

I'll keep the page password protected until someone else or myself gets
the tuits to make this work. Feel free to email me offlist for access.

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer