[OSM-talk] Apologies

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Wed Apr 26 10:57:07 BST 2006

On 4/26/06, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:

> That apart, I must admit I don't really understand the fear of
> copyright contamination from derived data.

It's paranoia, sure.  Some have called it a 'clean room' approach.
It's one I favour, as I'm sure is clear from my contributions to the
mailing list.

The risk, by the way, might be mitigated somewhat when the foundation
is in place.  At the moment though, the risk is that individual
contributors, or worse - just Steve, get sued for copyright
infringement.  If it got as far as going to court it would essentially
kill the project straight away because we have no money.  And we know
they've done it before:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Copyright_Easter_Eggs#The_AA

Short-cutting using data of unknown or shaky status is risky but also
pointless - people are already showing that amazing things can be done
from scratch when the toolset is far from mature.  As the software
improves, and we gain contributors, more amazing things will happen.
Promise.

Best,

Tom.