[OSM-talk] Re: [OSM-dev] Mailing list -> forum?

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Wed Apr 26 12:03:02 BST 2006

On 4/26/06, Nick Black <nickblack1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I said in response to the first mention of forums a few weeks ago, I
> think they would have some serious benfits in organisation, information
> management and tracebility.  I dont know what mail clients most people are
> using, but even with Gmail's search it is sometimes quite tricky to find
> past messages.  I'm just glad I'm not using Outlook.
>
> Would it be possible to have forum threads mailed to the mailing list for
> those who like the mailing list setup?
>
> So +1 to at least considering a forum for discussions.

OK I've changed my mind on this since last time it was raised. A forum
would probably be useful given current levels of traffic I suppose.  I
do worry that things will get too fragmented amongst mailing lists,
blog, wiki, trac, IRC etc. but I think we'll be OK.

PHPBB or similar?  Forums for newbies and introductions, hardware,
client software, server software, and miscellaneous?  To be reviewed
after a couple of months?  And the templates should have clear links
to the wiki FAQ and Trac for bugs.

I think that things like gmane help a lot if you're just casually
following the list.
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap

I personally have no trouble using gmail. I only use it for lists, and
by and large its conversation threading is pretty good.  (Actually, if
you're not using a threaded mail client to read this list, how the
hell do you cope?!  I seriously recommend splitting mailing list
traffic out from your personal mail, at least with filters if not by
using a separate address, no wonder people are getting frustrated!)

dorbotlondon's announce and blabber lists work very well - perhaps OSM
needs an announce list for people who want to track official things
but don't want to follow every little detail?  I imagine most
'announce' type things would also go on the blog, but announce would
cover things like planned downtime, events, milestones reached, etc.
Once per month or less, on average.

Tom.