[OSM-talk] Apologies

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Wed Apr 26 12:18:17 BST 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 12:06:34AM +0100, SteveC wrote:
> * @ 25/04/06 11:15:14 PM crschmidt at crschmidt.net wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 12:03:15AM +0200, Erik Johansson wrote:
> > > The problem isn't with the WMS server but the fact that you had google
> > > maps and OSM data no the same page, and you linked them with that
> > > little blue dot.  It's only about copyright scare, and that "link"
> > > between gmaps and OSM is not very good.
> >
> > Isn't the copyright scare that information is going to be copied from
> > Google Maps to OSM? How is that any more possible in this case than it
> > is by opening two browsers and placing them side by side? (other than I
> > guess it drags each to the same place automatically, but there's still
> > no way to *edit* via this page...)
>
> Yeah, it's totally possible for someone to do that - what I said was
> that it wasn't *encouraged* (to make it easy for someone to do that) :-)

I'd like to draw a line in the sand as to what OSM would like to see vs.
not see in terms of external visualizations of the data alongside
copyrighted data. It's frustrating to me that everytime someone comes up
with something cool that can be done alongside copyrighted data, there
seems to be an argument over how risky it is to have people copying
copyrighted data off the map. Anyone who is interested in contributing
to the project should be aware of the fact that copying copyright data
into the map is Not a Good Thing, and discouraging innovation because
there's a possibility that people might use it to copy from one to the
other is annoying (and my resultant trolling is largely in response to
that, despite the petulant manner I've accomplished it in.) So where's
the line? At one point does it become a big enough concern that
something should not be done, simply because someone might copy?

> Apology: It's all cool. You obviously have javascript skills etc that we
> could use. What would you like to work on? We have many things that
> could be done with the tile code and everything else that need help.
> It;d be nice to plot pins on the map!

Honestly, if you want to let people put pins on the maps, I'd just wait
for OpenLayers to come out. (Which I'm continually told will be 'real
soon now', but I'm actually starting to believe it.) OpenLayers is an
Open Source development designed to be an alternative to the Google Maps
API, using WMS servers as the back end and supporting the ability to
place 'pins' on the maps the same way that Google Maps currently does.

I'm quite sure that whatever effort they make will not match your needs
100%, but I think it would be better to take their work (once it's
released) and modify it to better fit your needs than it would be to
create an entirely alternative effort.

Of course, when it is released, you may find that it's entirely
insufficient or inappropriate to OSM's needs, but the wait time is in

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer