Tracability and documenting data origins. Was: [OSM-talk] Mapping IoW (I'm a new person withpossible interestindoing something)

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 26 17:48:19 BST 2006

I have to admit I was thinking about this point only last week while
walking part of the Cornish coastal path. I am sure we only know so many
land features by their name shown on an OS map. So where did they get
these names in the first place? Well, you will generally find the same
names or similar (its amazing how many names have changed in the last
100 or so years) on historical maps which are out of copyright. Thus in
my view, we should make good use of historical mapping sources which are
free from copyright concerns. Courtesy of Richard Fairhurst, we now have
a wiki page to collate our individual historic mapping ownership and
I'll be adding mine when I am back at base next week. For the UK, if we
could get access to copies of all the old 6 inch to 1 mile OS sheets,
that would go most of the way to identifying the basic land features,
including almost all place names and a significant amount of land poi's.
I'm going to target architectural and engineering firms in the next few
months as I believe that many have these old sheets sitting unused in
their archives.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Out-of-copyright_maps

Cheers,

Andy