[OSM-talk] Mapping IoW (I'm a new person with possible interestindoing something)

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Wed Apr 26 16:34:48 BST 2006

Hi,

> The cautions on the website and list, against using copyright sources of
> information to add to OSM, are very sensible, but is there a lack of
> built-in defense, in OSM, against allegations of copyright infringement?
> I am thinking especially of feature names.  Clearly the GPX files
> provide great evidence of someone having physically visited a location
> or traversed a route.  But what provides evidence of someone physically
> collecting the feature name?

Uhm... I am just curious:

In germany, it is that *they* have to prove that you copied from them, not
the other way round. So if you just don't copy all is fine.

Is this different in other countries?

(This is not meant as sarcasm.. I really want to know. For example in some
countries (Italy?) police can demand that you prove you own some specific
good, even without evidence that you could not own it. That's why they
have to keep lots of receipts of everything, I believe ;)

Ciao, Imi.