[OSM-talk] Mapping IoW (I'm a new person with possible interestindoing something)

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Wed Apr 26 22:30:39 BST 2006

Andrew Loughhead wrote:
> The cautions on the website and list, against using copyright sources of
> information to add to OSM, are very sensible, but is there a lack of
> built-in defense, in OSM, against allegations of copyright infringement?
> I am thinking especially of feature names.  Clearly the GPX files
> provide great evidence of someone having physically visited a location
> or traversed a route.  But what provides evidence of someone physically
> collecting the feature name?

i think thats hard to prove, time stamped gpx tracks might be a prove
that someone was there, while tracks could also be faked.
the other way around, its easy for "them" to prove infringement
if the same error occurs on a earlier published map and in OSM.
(in that case it would be ours to prove that the error didnt derive
from the copyrighted source --- maybe by showing a picture of a sign)

frank