[OSM-talk] Newcomer's query

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Fri Apr 28 10:21:57 BST 2006

Hi,

> However, should I bang out as much GPS data as possible and
> upload and convert to segments to get raw data complete as soon as
> possible, or should I systematically make ways as I go, code with
> appropriate tags, etc (and edit the existing local data where necessary)
> to produce totally logical data from start?

That depends on what you like to see ;-).

If you just want to have a quick overview of the area (as example you want
a base for some other applications like wardriving), skip all street
creation stuff and just enter the raw line segments.

E.g. I guess if you want to have a nice map of your region, the absolute
minimum should be to classify the streets (class=major/minor etc..) and to
name them (name=...). This is my recommendation ;)

> Third less important question. Can you find out and contact people that
> are mapping near you to share experiences, ensure dovetailing, etc? I
> notice that Barnet area is deeply detailed. Can I contact the mapper(s)
> to collaborate on joining Barnet to Enfield as we progress?

Not yet. I am also in strong favour of such a feature, but there are some
privacy concerns.

So it will be more likely that you will have a bulletin board for a given
region instead of a list of all contributors of some data. (Although I
like the latter too! ;)

Ciao, Imi