[OSM-talk] Newcomer's query

Steve Chilton S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk
Mon Apr 24 14:51:05 BST 2006

I am a new contributor of data to OSM, having found a redundant Garmin
eTrex Venture GPS unit in our department, and having massive interest in
mapping, and community mapping in particular. After considerable
experimentation I have uploaded a couple of GPX tracks to test system
and done simple editing to learn the online editing tool.
Question I have is what to concentrate on. I live/work in N London
(Enfield) and there is masses of the area to survey, which am happy to
do by bike. However, should I bang out as much GPS data as possible and
upload and convert to segments to get raw data complete as soon as
possible, or should I systematically make ways as I go, code with
appropriate tags, etc (and edit the existing local data where necessary)
to produce totally logical data from start?
My natural instinct for order is the latter. It is also evident from the
SVG output that I have seen and from Nick's dev website output
(http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/index.php?lat=51.6666667&lon=-0.06666
67) that logical coding is vital to produce meaningful output, which I
think is really getting close now.
Second question is that I have scanned the help pages and can't find a
guide to codeifying the data for optimum usefulness - is there one?. I
would like a definition of what should constitute a "way". Is the
mimimum classication of ways that you create to use the "default"
dropdown menu's worth of 4 road types (motorway to minor road) and 4
non-road types? Perhaps one outcome of IoW and Manchester efforts could
be further documentation?
Third less important question. Can you find out and contact people that
are mapping near you to share experiences, ensure dovetailing, etc? I
notice that Barnet area is deeply detailed. Can I contact the mapper(s)
to collaborate on joining Barnet to Enfield as we progress?

Cheers
STEVE

Steve Chilton, Learning Support Fellow
Learning and Technical Support Unit Manager
School of Health and Social Sciences
Middlesex University
phone/fax: 020 8411 5355
email: steve8 at mdx.ac.uk