[OSM-talk] Broken Ways, WMS Server Status

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Fri Apr 28 12:37:18 BST 2006

> From the Planet.osm dump, ways with id 1969, 1970 both seem to be
> broken: they have hundreds of segments, but they all have id 616316.
> These ways were both 'created by josm' -- is this a problem with josm?

It was a problem in some older version when importing GPX directly as OSM
data. It is fixed now and the newer versions of the way should have been
already updated in the server.

> Is there any way to prevent this from happening in the future?

Its "prevented" in terms of the problem with JOSM is fixed now. I don't
see a reason to prevent this in the server, since something like this is
usually silly and nobody will enter it anyway (except for a reason).

For example you *can* create a wikipedia page, containing 10000 times the
character $. ;-)

> (I'm sure someone will tell me that I can edit them myself, but since I
> can't get any editors working on my machine anymore, I don't really want
> to hear it :p)

Well, you could use:

cat planet.osm | uniq > planet-fixed.osm

> The solution to this is to develop some kind of scale dependant
> rendering, but previously I had loaded only segments and nodes. Scale
> dependant rendering requires something more -- first, loading the tags,
> and hopefully I'll also be able to use the 'ways'.

I hope for something like: map?bbox=...&search=class:major

;-)

Ciao, Imi