[OSM-talk] Re: Mailing list -> forum? NO!

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Sat Apr 29 09:34:15 BST 2006

Hi,

Petter Reinholdtsen schrieb:
> Adding a web forum will split the OSM community in half, one
> part using the mailing list and one part using the web forum.  Please
> do not do this.

I'd like to add some words. First: I will not going to leave the mailing
list, even if it grows and produce more traffic ;-). And second, in fact
I was not concerned about ME using too much time, but about newbies that
don't join the list or don't ask the questions they have because they
are unfamiliar with mailing lists, scared of the traffic or have
unoptimized email clients..

That was the reason I carefully said "How much traffic increase can we
tolerate further" instead of "Lets switch to a forum NOW".

My suspicion is, that the community is already split: Those who read the
mailing list and those who don't read it because of some reasons that
could be avoided with a forum.

Ciao, Imi.