[OSM-talk] Supplying of data

Timothy Fintan Langner timflang at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 29 12:08:49 BST 2006

Hi

I am no longer able to make it to the IoW weekend as something else has come
up.

However I would like to do something in the future. I often take me GPS with
me when I go out as it allows me to collect free data without much effort.
For example when travelling on the train (although not all trains give me a
reception). I have the Guildford to Gatwick route off my GPS. Not all
stations are marked on it yet but I could do that on a future trip as I use
that route fairly often.

However before I start collecting data for openstreetmap have some
questions.

When I capture GPS, I tend to put on numbered POIs (waypoints) and type into
comment section of POI, it's name.

If I do that, is it possible to link that to the track points I've captured,
before I upload, or do I manually need to add in the names to the track
lines?

For buildings do I just including them with the GPX file or do I need to
create a separate file?

Do you want people to submit evidence of their trip or do we keep that? By
evidence I mean things like the weather on the day I went out or any POIs I
wrote down, due to getting annoyed at the time it takes to enter comments in
my GPS receiver.

To get useful data i.e. data that looks like roads, footpaths etc, do I need
to use osmeditor, or can I use something else?

If I do, does it allow me to load files off my hard drive into it? I ask
that because I've never found a program expect GPS Utility, which would read
my eXplorist 210 GPS files. I spent sometime research this and found nothing
else which worked. Therefore I have had to get files into GPS Utility and
then save them out as another format, before I could use the data with any
other program. I am not certain why this is the case as I have no other make
of GPS receiver to compare it to.

Once those I know how the system works and what is required, I can capture
and upload data from time to time.

At the moment I am more likely to have a load of tracks which are mainly
unnamed roads and POIs of any place I happened to visit. Be it a post
office, railway station, pub or even a shop where I bought something. I even
have some stuff from a recent trip to Austria when I visited my brother.

Kind regards

Timothy Langner