[OSM-talk] Problem when uploading GPX tracks without time data

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 29 21:55:45 BST 2006

Dan,

Saving the track log rather than downloading the raw "Active" log from your
eTrex is no good. As you say, the timestamps are lost. You will also find
that the saved log is somewhat filtered and of limited use for OSM editing.
Always download the active log. This means you need to think about how long
you will be out between downloads and what the logging frequency needs to be
to achieve a workable time. My Legend with its 10,000 track point limit set
at a 1 second logging interval gives me two and three quarter hours, if I
find that I need longer I change the log frequency to 2 or 3 seconds,
sometimes part way through the logging.

Can start and stop the logging until the unit is full if you like. These
separate logs are spewed out by the eTrex on download and can quite happily
be uploaded to OSM as a single file. No need to separate out the individual
track segments.

GPX uploads to OSM require the timestamp on each trackpoint or they will
fail. This ensures that logs uploaded are not simply made randomly. They do
not however need any other data other than the Lat and Lon to be valid.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk