[OSM-talk] JOSM feature requests

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Fri Aug 4 10:10:29 BST 2006

On Friday 04 August 2006 10:59, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > To pic an area you can use the
> >     --limit-area
> > function of osm-filter. You simply define a waypoint,  with a type
> > filter.allow or filter.deny in the center of the area of (non)interest in
> > gpsdrive. You then define an proximity(in meters) around these areas. The
> > ~/.gpsdrive/way.txt file then looks like this:
> >  de_Dottingen            48.411430    9.492400 filter.allow 0 0 0 20000
>
> Can you change the script that way.txt is a standard OSM-xml file using
> some key/values for the distance stuff?

Shouldn't be a big deal. If you give me an example XML File i can add this on
the weekend. Maybe we can also define a default location for this file inside
josms directory. let's suggest:
  .josm/waypoints
or
  .josm/filters

> > I think the only feature(s) in josm I'd like to see for filtering would
> > be:
> >  - snap to track: which would snap to the nearest
> >                   trackline when you click for generating a node.
>
> Already there. There is a mode "adding node to segment", which will insert
> into the nearest segment (if there is a segment around the clicked point
> ;)

Not osm-segment, just snap to track-segment.

> >  - set waypoint/filter area: which would create a waypoint in
> >                   the file way.txt described above
>
> I could implement the output of only selected values (or better implement
> the "multiple data layer" feature).

"multiple data layer" sounds really really nice :-))

> Together with your script reading .osm
> files instead of way.txt, the user can create the waypoints as any other
> object. (And when "custom renderers" are implemented, the blue circle
> could come for free too ;)

Sounds nice.

> > I think having two programs do the same stuff reduces the manpower of
> > programming skills we have. And we always have a great lack of
> > programmers contributing to the project. So i would suggest to keep the
> > efforts focused. So my suggestion is to focus on one program to do the
> > task of filtering and make more people contribute filters for our then
> > chosen main filter.
>
> Yep, I agree..
>
> can osm-filter.pl take stdin as input-xml-stream and output to stdout? In
> this case, I could add a call to this more easily from within JOSM..

I can add this pretty easy. I'll have a look at it this weekend.

-

Joerg