[OSM-talk] New Forest mapping weekend... [Q about TomTom recording]

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 16:21:18 BST 2006

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 11:52:49PM +0100, Dean Earley wrote:
> Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> >The idea will be to try and complete OSM mapping of the New Forest
> >national park between Southampton and Bournemouth in the south of England
> >over two weekends (I have already done about 25-33%, perhaps, myself).
> >Since it's largely off road it'll be aimed at walkers and cyclists, though
> >car drivers could still do some useful surveying of the towns and villages
> >- Lyndhurst, Brockenhurst, Lymington etc.
>
> That weekend is clear for me although I'd probably do a lot of road
> mapping (My cars GPS is FAR more accurate than my handheld.. :)

That raises an interesting question, actually.

We have tried a TomTom here*, and are very suspicious that it actually locks the
points it records to its own internal maps, rather than recording the actual GPS
co-ordinates.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? If it is correct, then it could mean a lot of
data is actually "invalid", being indirectly copied of other maps.

Thanks!

--
Matthew

* Clive has, I don't think he's on this list yet