[OSM-talk] TomTom recording (Was: New Forest mapping weekend...)

Dean Earley dean at earlsoft.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 19:18:44 BST 2006

>>That weekend is clear for me although I'd probably do a lot of road
>>mapping (My cars GPS is FAR more accurate than my handheld.. :)
>
> That raises an interesting question, actually.
>
> We have tried a TomTom here*, and are very suspicious that it actually locks the
> points it records to its own internal maps, rather than recording the actual GPS
> co-ordinates.
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny this? If it is correct, then it could mean a lot of
> data is actually "invalid", being indirectly copied of other maps.

I don't know about the TomTom's but this is an issue with the Garmin
eMaps by default (my handheld).
As soon as I noticed the option I turned it off and mentioned it here.

Its NOT an issue on my car GPS as it has no internal map data and the
traces are recorded outside any mapping apps.

--
Dean Earley, Dee (dean at earlsoft.co.uk)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/
web:    http://personal.earlsoft.co.uk