[OSM-talk] Which track logging software

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 11:05:56 BST 2006

On 8/10/06, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:

> People who use a laptop or a car-mounted computer to collect
> tracklogs, which software do you use?  I'm primarily looking for
> a Linux solution,

I use gpsd + netcat to log nmea and then convert that to gpx using
gpsbabel. I have a runlevel that starts gpsd + netcat, and when I go
back to my ordinary runlevel I have a task startup service that
handles the conversion.

basically:
date=$(date +%s);netcat localhost 2947 > $date.nmea
gpsbabel -i nmea -o gpx -f $date.nmea -F

> On the other hand, the NMEA protocol (available through gpsd)
> provides information not only about the number of satellites, but
> their individual signal strength (or SNR) and position in the sky.
> Can the GPX format represent this information?

None defined in gpx, and gpsbabel doesn't save that information when
it converts to gpx that's why I archive the nmea logs.

--
/Erik