[OSM-talk] Bath weekend

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Mon Aug 21 20:02:45 BST 2006

Hello Rob,

Thanks again for the bed on Saturday night :-)

> First off I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who organised the
> Bath weekend. This was my introduction to OSM and I had a fantastic time
> (even getting drenched in the thunderstorm).

> I've been having a go at editing the data I collected, and think I've
> roughly got the hang of it (I'm not sure I'd have managed without NickW's
> quick demo of osm-editor2 at midnight on Saturday).
>
> I have some questions:
>
> 1. I have a street that didn't have a name, as such, but the signposts gave
> the building name, which was different on either side of the road (Hanover
> Terrace and Gillingham Terrace). How should I tag this?

There isn't really a way to tag this yet.... Andy?

> 3. does osm-editor2 have a problem with apostrophes in names?

I don't *think* so, no - what are you seeing?

> 4. in josm, I am tagging ways with "name" and "highway". Is that
> sufficient? The ways I created in osm-editor2 have bicycle, horse, and car
> tags.

For roads yes. For paths it's also helpful to distinguish between an official
public footpath (one with an official public footpath sign: foot=yes;
highway=footway) and permissive footpath (any footpath without an official
public footpath sign: foot=permissive; highway=footway)

> 5. Is it ok to create ways that aren't a linear collection of segments?
> Some of the roads I saw had several branches (normally short cul-de-sacs).

I think everyone does this their own way, but I do what you've just described
(e.g. Tyning End, Bath)

Nick