[OSM-talk] Potential mapping extravaganza in 2007?

Interlug interlug at weait.net
Wed Aug 23 16:08:42 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-23-08 at 15:01 +0100, Robert Scott wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 August 2006 08:54, Andy Robinson wrote:
> > While completing a short section of the Trent & Mersey canal last night
> > while my son had a piano lesson I got to thinking that a mapping
> > extravaganza based on a canal boat or two might be really cool. Perhaps
> > something to think about for next year. Incorporate the next OSM
> > Anniversary perhaps.
>
> This is a fantastic idea.

I accidentally replied directly to Andy earlier.  This is a great
idea.

> Any volunteers for the fulltime job of wifi-scanning the local area with a
> cantenna?

Some WiFi APs also do a good job of running gpsd.  This one is currently
running gpsd and some WiFi utilities as I drive around town.
http://www.dyoh.com/?q=node/view/23

Adding a cantenna and an antenna rotor (plus a little pointing logic and
feedback) would allow some triangulation for mapping the APs, rather
than just placing them all in the canal.  Plus, having a bespoke radome
should make us the coolest kids in the marina.  ;-)