[OSM-talk] Sydney

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Dec 2 01:31:10 GMT 2006

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 12:59:49AM +0000, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> 80n wrote:
> > In case our Austrailan contributors are feeling neglected I'd like to
> > point out that parts of Sydney had been rendered in the Osmarender layer
> > on the slippy map.
> >
> > If you use the following url you'll initially get the "...more OSM
> > coming soon" message, but then select the Osmarender layer using the
> > plus button on the right hand side to see the results of lots of good work.
> >
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=-33.88974361763804&lon=151.19890669523767&zoom=13
>
> It also looks good in the Mapnik WMS-C layer, but it (as everything else
> in that layer) is in a slightly different place. You'll need to zoom out
> to find it.
>
> Can we fix the alignment of the WMS-C layer, and then make it the
> default? Or perhaps the main Mapnik tileserver can do a redirect to it
> rather than return a "more OSM coming soon" type tile.

The instructions that I offered Steve for how to set up the WMS-C layer
would probably make the alignments match. As it is right now, the WMS-C
layer is right, the other two are wrong. (I've confirmed this with tests
of other data.) The reason is that the Google-like tiles can't be
positioned right with the current OpenLayers map parameters.

Unfortunately, changing the map parameters means I need to change them
on the server side as well -- I changed the server to accomodate the map
on OpenStreetMap.org, even though it didn't match the Google-like data,
so I'll need to change it back if the Map params on OSM.org change.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta