[OSM-talk] Splitting and merging ways (was Re: road on western side of Loch Ness)

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Thu Dec 7 14:59:09 GMT 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 02:31:31PM +0000, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> If we have a way
>
>         A--B--C--D  E--F--G
>
> (i.e. disjoint between D and E) and split it at C, the result is:
>
> way 1: A--B--C
> way 2:       C--D  E--F--G
>
> (The key/values of the original way will be copied to both new ways.)
>
> Loops are fairly similar. If we have:
>
>               F--E
>               |  |
>         A--B--C--D
etc.

Thanks, that makes sense!

I guess the only thing is about loops (basically, roundabouts) - if you have

  A--B--C
  |     |
  F--E--D

and you split at A, I guess nothing happens, but if you split at D do you end up
with

  A--B--C--D  D--E--F--A ?

Which might be a bit confusing because "A" will be an arbitrary point somewhere
else on the roundabout.

Otherwise, sounds great!

--
Matthew