[OSM-talk] Highway tags and other junk

Thu Dec 14 09:58:56 GMT 2006

Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> Ahoy,
>
> On Thursday 14 December 2006 03:22, Ben Robbins wrote:
>> Before you  say these don’t need to be labeled separately please note that
>> the average speed on the 1st type would be about 55mph, while on the 4th it
>> would be about 15mph.  A route planner must sort these apart.
>
> That can be covered with the speed limit tag.

If I've read Ben's mail correctly, it's not that there's a formal
speed limit (i.e. round signs with '15' in the middle and a red
border) - much more likely that the roads are NSL. It's more that if
you drive on these roads at any more than 15mph you're likely to smash
head-on into someone round the next bend.

mutter mutter lousy local councils who don't understand the
countryside trying to put a 30mph limit on all minor roads mutter
mutter...

cheers
Richard