[OSM-talk] Highway tags and other junk

David Sheldon dave at earth.li
Thu Dec 14 10:55:45 GMT 2006

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 09:58:56AM +0000, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> If I've read Ben's mail correctly, it's not that there's a formal
> speed limit (i.e. round signs with '15' in the middle and a red
> border) - much more likely that the roads are NSL. It's more that if
> you drive on these roads at any more than 15mph you're likely to smash
> head-on into someone round the next bend.

Actually, I think he was talking about the average rate of progress.
This is important to route planning applications. Even if it is safe to
travel 30 for most of a road, regular stops in passing places will
reduce your average speed. Similarly, in towns many traffic light would
have the same effect, and round Milton Keynes, all those roundabouts
reduce your average speed significantly from what you would otherwise do
along such wide dual-carridgeways.

David

--
"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years
of careful development."