[OSM-talk] osm2garmin - utility for transferring live OSM data to Garmin GPS

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Sun Dec 17 15:56:14 GMT 2006

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 03:27:24PM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> As an extension to the osmgarminmap utility announced last week, I have
> started a utility called "osm2garmin" which transfers live OSM data to your
> Garmin GPS in one step. It makes use of the XSLT transformations within
> osmgarminmap, then calls cgpsmapper and sendmap in sequence.
>
> If you want to transfer a large area to your GPS, it can fetch OSM data in
> tiles (default size 0.1 x 0.1 degrees). This will generate one .img file for
> each tile. sendmap is *supposed* to be able to send multiple .img files -
> however, for some reason, the one on my system doesn't send anything (not
> even one file) if multiple .img files are specified.

Just a shot in the dark, I haven't tested this: The .img Files each need
to have a map id. I think they need all to be different. The map id is
defined in the osm2mpx.xml at rules/@mapid. Try using different map ids
here, maybe it helps.

I have just checked in a new version of osm2mpx.xsl which will allow to
set the map id from the command line like this:

  xsltproc --stringparam mapid 11000200 osm2mpx.xml >map.mpx

The ID is strange. It has to be a large number, but I don't remember the
details. It is somewhere in the cGPSmapper docs.

You can now also set the map name with "--stringparam name <name>".

Jochen