[OSM-talk] The Return of the Highway tags and other junk

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 18 17:14:27 GMT 2006

>But everything "takes up an area".

Incorrect.  Town/city names, and other labels, pub, hotel, golf corse etc,
will all be nodes.  The elements of them would then be areas.

>If it is a feature primarily related to the linear passage of a road,  and
>doesn't extend significantly beyond the bounds of the road, then  tagging
>it as a node is more appropriate than tagging it as an area.

It matters if you are mapping more than roads, wich some poeple (i.e. me),
are.   If you think about tagging a gate when you have a segment wich is the
hedgerow, it is logical to make the gate a small segment within it.

>As a side effect, tagging gates and cattlegrids as nodes (and
>mini-roundabouts, etc.) is also helpful for navigation software.

Yes true.  As long as the node where the gate and road cross is tagged the
navagation softwear should be able to pick it up, right?