[OSM-talk] The Return of the Highway tags and other junk

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 18 18:57:55 GMT 2006

Talking about gates has really shifted quite off topic.  This is mostly
about borders in general, or tracktypes more inportantly wich isnt a
replacement at all.

>And I say it's even not necessary to draw them as a line, because you
>can deduct the relevant dimensions from the surroundings and the tags.

You cannont deduct the direction or size of the gate.  If you think its not
nessesery fine.  But thats not the same as making it not posible for someone
to add this.

>A building doesn't need to be accurately mapped, unless it has some
>significance (even by size alone) and/or perhaps a recognizable shape.

Nothing 'needs' to be mapped.  >AGAIN< thats different to making something
not posible to map correctly.

>>1) So that it is clear what gate you are looking for when walking.  It
>>may be a footgate, or a double gate, or a gate adjacent to the direction
>>your walking.

>The latter should be obvious from the context the gate-node is put in,
>the former can be set by tags (even if you draw it as a segment, so
>that's no argument for using a segment for a gate)

Nope.  A node has no direction, or freedom to tag gate sizes that arnt one
of the common standidised types.

>~10m in my opinion,

Thats so random.  In that case lets stop mapping unclassified roads cuase
there only 5 meters across.   >Again< you are free not to map things under
10m's if you want.  Thats different to having a standardised method which
stops people adding it if they want.

>Layers? I don't understand why a cattle grid would need layers. One icon
>maybe rotated to align with the road and fence.

Thick black, followed by a thinner white, followed by thinner black,
followed by thinner white would leave 4 parrelly black lines, that fall
allong the way, wich is which way the gate goes.  It is not forced to
corralate to the road, and it shouldnt be either.

>I still don't understand why a gate that's less than, say, 10 m wide
>needs to be tagged as a linear thing.

Because its a linnier thing!.  If something 9 meters wide is a node, and
there is 50 in a row, then how do you space them?  with segments that you
tag as a hedge???... well what happens if theres no hedge there...then you
have gaps that are not there.  This is so very illoical.

>Maps are abstracted from the real world

Yes.  They are relative though.  Someone else updating the data by not
knowing why they are why they are like they are, after this will be doing so
becasue of ignorance, and I can't help that.  In seeing a line marked as
gate, I think it is way clearer than seeing a dot marked as a gate.  So I
cant make much of that point.

Arguing specifically about gates is missing the overall point of the border
key, and complely ignoring tracktypes, wich are curently inposible as
apposed to differently done.

Ben