[OSM-talk] SVG to PDF

Robert Hart Robert.Hart at BuroHappold.com
Tue Dec 19 15:22:03 GMT 2006

> Is anybody aware of any Open Source software which turns SVG into PDF
> keeping the data as vectors and not rasterizing it? Inkscape, rsvg,
> batik all rasterize the image and then put it into the PS/PDF. You'll
see
> that if you zoom in. But PDF is a vector format, so it could be done
> better. This is obviously difficult in cases where you use the more
> advances features of SVG like filtering, but in our case with the maps
it
> should work just fine.

It can be done. See http://www.bathterror.free-online.co.uk/bathmap.pdf
It does take forever to render though.

I think what I did goes something like: print in inkscape and choose
"using operators". Obviously print to file, and then convert the
resulting postscript to pdf.

There also seem to be various flavours of pdf in inkscape's save as
menu, and rsvg claims to support pdf.

Rob

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com