[Openstreetmap] posters

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 17:50:12 GMT 2006

On 2/1/06, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Since the run of posters sold out I've had lots of requests to buy them.
> I'd like your ideas on the design of a new one and a selling system.
>
> The first poster was a limited run, and signed, so we must do something
> different.
>
> This could be an unlimited run, a bit smaller but glossy, or the same
> size etc. Would be nice to do a map out to the M25 and other cities or
> all of Europe. It could incorporate street segments too.

How about all different?  Get people to choose a bounding box using
the tiles interface and then have a "buy poster" button with a choice
of sizes and a check boxes for GPS, landsat and street segments?  Then
generate a poster then and there for that query.

> The other thing is the system. Totally swamped writing addresses on
> poster tubes from emails. Need sticky labels and some system like ebay
> store or http://www.etsy.com/. Any ideas?

Paypal does shopping carts free doesn't it?

Can do sticky labels in evil proprietary software such as MS Word.
Really quickly if you have them in a table already.  I did a few
hundred christmas card labels in about 2 hours including typing from a
hand-written address book.

Otherwise, at least a basic web-form would save you the job of munging
various emails into a table first.  If you want to get really
industrious, Joel Spolsky's article is worth a quick read:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/HowToShipAnything.html

Tom.