[Openstreetmap] Re: OSM Peformance is terrible

Jens.Kammann at dlr.de Jens.Kammann at dlr.de
Mon Feb 6 22:51:42 GMT 2006

Hi,

JPL's onearth seems to be up again, but OSM still doesn't work:

In the view modes tiles show up, but no streets (hopefully they are not
deleted...) In the Edit mode, only some of the streets show up together
with white tiles without the yellow markers.
In one sentence, the service not useable - both for users and
contributors.

I am in the administration team of a PC cluster used for (mainly
scientific) simulations at the DLR (German Aerospcae Center). We have
some 50 PCs (using Debian Linux) sitting most of the time idle connected
via 155 MBit/s to the DFN/Internet. So if OSM can be partioned in some
ways (e.g. by splitting the map serving from the map editing), I would
be glad to help out. We also have some spare SUN netra T1s (also with
Debian Linux) which could serve as caches (both for tiles and map data).

It would be pitty if motivated map contributors get scared away just
because of discontenting server performance!

Regards,
      Jens