[Openstreetmap] UK railways

Jon Stockill lists at stockill.net
Mon Jan 16 13:15:28 GMT 2006

Inspired by the amount of work done creating motorways from the lansdat
data I set about doing the same for railways, starting with the network
local to me, and working outwards. There's now a big chunk of yorkshire
covered, and lots of the east coast mainline. It'd be really handy if
these could be coloured differently on the map, as things could get
confusing now.

Data was created using osmeditor2 - both in off and online mode. The
initial upload of the data worked, but returned an error. It appeared that
all the points, and most of the segments had been uploaded. I just used it
in online mode to join the existing points back together.

If anyone else wants to cover their local areas, then don't feel you're
treading on my toes - a little bit of local knowledge goes a long way (for
example, I could happily add the line past Edale, since I've spent lots of
time walking around there - but I've no idea of the route it takes into
sheffield once it emerges from the other end of the tunnel).

I'll continue with the obvious parts - feel free to shuffle things around
if you have a road running parallel to a railway, and your GPS data shows
that I've got the position slightly out.

--
Jon Stockill
lists at stockill.net