[Openstreetmap] key values to represent restricted turns

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Mon Jan 23 19:58:58 GMT 2006

Now that we have a selection of usable editors that understand keys and
values, I've been thinking of ways of representing things that would
affect a vehicle routing algorithm.

On a street segment, we need a "oneway=yes", and "class=motorway" can
infer "oneway=yes", but none of the editors yet cab represent segment
direction (e.g. with flow arrows), with the option of correcting which
direction the traffic is supposed to flow.

Another useful node attribute would be something that denotes
no-left-turn, or no-right turn. Whilst it's obvious that you cannot turn
the wrong way down a one way street, definition of "no-left-turn" or
"no-right-turn" is a little more tricky, as it can depend on which
direction you approach the junction.

My suggestion is that "no-right-turn=yes" should mean any turn greater
than 30 degrees to the right of straight ahead from the approach
direction should be prohibited. Likewise in the opposite direction for
"no-left-turn=yes". If this is on a corner, you may need to insert extra
nodes.

If anyone can think of any better way of representing such constructs,
please discuss it here.

--
Simon Hewison