[Openstreetmap] key values to represent restricted turns

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 21:31:42 GMT 2006

Simon Hewison wrote:
> Tom Carden wrote:
>> How about something like a property on a node like
>> no-turn=a.b,c.e,e.d; where a/b/c/d/e are segment ids for segments
>> connected to that node, and order matters?  All other combinations are
>> fair game for routing.
>
> Segment IDs seem to come and go, especially when a segment needs to be
> split in two to accommodate a new node in the middle.

I think it has already been suggested that it should be possible to
insert nodes into segments and maintain tags anyway rather than deleting
them (and I think at least one of Nick/Tommy/Imi have already
implemented this). Is there a ticket for implementing this in the
applet, anyone?

> These key/values will be stored on the node at the junction, which is
> less likely to accidentally be deleted.

I was suggesting storing the properties in the node too.

> This accidental deletion may happen when two people are editing around
> one junction without one being aware that there are any fancy
> attributes on anything. (the applet still only knows about the name key).

I don't think the current state of the applet should affect the
aspiration.  (But you make a good point that it would be useful to
indicate whether a node/segment has other tags before deleting it and
replacing it with a tag-free one...).

Tom.