[Openstreetmap] key/values for tunnels and bridges

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Wed Jan 25 14:09:20 GMT 2006

I found myself using JOSM to add key/values to a set of roads I know well.

since according to Nick, we have class=(motorway|primary|secondary|path)
which would affect how his viewer renders the lines, do we have a way of
defining how to define key/value pairs that would denote a tunneled
section of a motorway, or other road?

If nobody else has already started on this labeling, might I suggest
this could be used to determine z=order when rendering things like
multi-level motorway interchanges correctly.

elevated=-1 (tunnel or underpass, below the level of surrounding ground)
elevated=0 (default)
elevated=1 (a bridge)
elevated=2 (a bridge over a bridge)
elevated=3 (a bridge over a bridge over a bridge)
elevated=4 (some civil engineer is having a joke)
and so on

you may want to have something like elevated=-0.5 for things like
cuttings, which is sometimes rendered differently

Tunnels are normally depicted on road maps by some sort of a dashed
edged line, with the weight of the line being the same for the type of
road it represents.

Likewise, bridges are often rendered with bridge arches either side of
the track.

Ordnance Survey Landranger symbols:

http://62.25.96.205/products_new/landranger/symbols/viewsymb.cfm

If nobody has any objection, I'll wikify this later in the day.
--
Simon Hewison