[OSM-talk] Summary about "Convert to data layer" (was: Stupid Josm question)

Joerg Ostertag openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Sun Jul 2 10:48:35 BST 2006

> If your GPS data looks fine, then you can convert it into a "data layer"
> in JOSM and so skip to draw your streets on top of the gps track. This is
> recommend especally for those lonesome motorways going hundrets of boring
> kilometer to the horizon.. ;-)

I think especially on long streight lines you should filter your data.
Especially if anyone wants to edit the data or wants to use the data this
would be usefull.
I just checked on my last trip to Italy with a little test. The raw data is
about 10 times as much as the filtered one. This drive was mostly Autobahn.
You can use something like the osm-filter.pl to do this step. And I think its
worth reducing the data before uploading. Just imagine a normal routing
software (Falk, Garmin, ... ) has between 2GB and 6GB of Data on the
harddisk. If you'd take that by 10 it would be 20GB-60GB which a normal
laptop harddrive normally wouldn't have free available.
More about filtering with osm-filter.pl in another posting.

-

Joerg