[OSM-talk] OSM back

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Jul 3 19:33:12 BST 2006

SteveC wrote:

> http://steve.dev.openstreetmap.org/planet.osm.bz2
> Yes, a planet.osm. 20 meg compressed.

Wonderful!  I've updated my primitive PDF maps of Sweden,
indicating the great progress we've made in these last months,

Based on the May 2006 dump:

Svealand      (112 kB), http://aronsson.se/img/osm-200605-svealand.pdf
Götaland      (208 kB), http://aronsson.se/img/osm-200605-gotaland.pdf
Skåne-Sjælland (47 kB), http://aronsson.se/img/osm-200605-skane.pdf

Based on the July 2006 dump:

Svealand      (180 kB), http://aronsson.se/img/osm-200607-svealand.pdf
Götaland      (264 kB), http://aronsson.se/img/osm-200607-gotaland.pdf
Skåne-Sjælland (80 kB), http://aronsson.se/img/osm-200607-skane.pdf

Skåne-Sjælland contains latitudes 54.5 to 57 degrees, Götaland
56.5 to 59, and Svealand 58.5 to 61 degrees.

Just look at the area north-west of Mariestad-Örebro-Västerås!

> This took most of the time today and includes everything east of
> -30 Longitude (mid atlantic-ish). Still can't handle TIGER yet,
> too big. This was done with code that NickW wrote.

Does the new code also run out of memory?  Or is time the limit
now?  How about slicing the dump so one file contains all nodes
that were added or changed in the last month?

Could we start to see dumps more frequently than monthly?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)