[OSM-talk] Good deal on Garmin GPS unit

Wed Jul 5 13:31:04 BST 2006

Dan wrote:

> I'm impressed that it has (admittedly very basic) road network data
> for the Isle of Man. I couldn't figure out how to get it to navigate
> me to the island from here in Stuttgart by road though.

For anyone else looking for a handheld with built-in maps, I'm
currently playing with the Lowrance iFinder Go2 (got a review copy for
the day job :).

Its RRP is around the £100 mark, though unsurprisingly, it's less
capable than the Garmin clearance model. But it has some nice
features, such as a good POI database. I'm still trialling its GPS
reception capabilities but they seem pretty good. UI is a bit
over-complicated.

Annoyingly, though the connector is the same shape as the eTrex/Geko
one, the pinouts are swapped around. And it's another bulky-ish unit.

Richard