[OSM-talk] using JOSM in Los Angeles

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Wed Jul 19 08:24:20 BST 2006

> In article
> <63353.194.180.239.5.1153235355.squirrel at www.eigenheimstrasse.de>
> immanuel.scholz at gmx.de writes:
>>> JOSM is mostly working, if not quite the way I expected after reading
>>> the documentation.  Unfortunatly, I uploaded some incorrect things
>>> while experimenting and the delete feature doesn't work.
>>
>>Can you explain what your problem is? Did you get any error messages?
>
> No error message, just doesn't appear to do anything.  Selected
> segments stay selected and stay on the screen.

That's strange..

Hm, the only thing I could think of is, that you selected segments that
were in use and then entered the delete mode. When you do this, JOSM try
to delete as much as possible from your selection, but it cannot delete
the segments beeing used (e.g. by ways). You also get no error message
here, because the usual case is, that at least some other, also selected
but deletable objects get deleted next to the used segments.
I will display an error in the case the user has only undeletable objects
selected. ;)

BTW: You can hold down Ctrl to force deletion of anything you have
selected. This results in the deletion of all dependencies.

>>Note also, that you can change the color to white, which improve the
>>visibility of the dots a bit.
>
> I already changed the color to yellow to make them visable at all.
> Still hard to tell from dust on the screen.

Then be happy that Revision 115 includes a "Make GPS points large" -
button in preferences ;-)  (and surprisingly, the speed is ok. This tells
me again: Never try to guess where performance is buried. Profile! ;)

> No, I mean bogus tracklines.  My GPS does not produce many bogus
> trackpoints, but when tracklines are on there are many between my
> house and whereever the GPS finally determanded the position.  I also
> see random lines going where the GPS obviously lost signal and didn't
> do any trackpoints for a while.

The bogus lines spanning over the screen are from corrupt gps points. JOSM
draw's the gpx log as it is recorded in the file.

I hope that other coders will soon step in and provide tools for GPX files
to normalize them, remove bogus stuff, write better export plugins for
GPS-Babel etc... if not, I'll include them into JOSM some time...

Ciao, Imi