[OSM-talk] Map Features tagging question

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Wed Jul 19 10:10:14 BST 2006

I'm trying to decide how to use the Map Features tagging scheme to distinguish
between different types of path in the New Forest. For three of the four
broad path types, I've got some sensible tags but for the fourth, I'm a
little unsure as to what to use.

The New Forest is unlike most countryside areas in that there are no rights of
way as such, but a lot of permissive, unofficial tracks. To my mind there are
four categories:

1. The signed cycle paths, almost universally gravel tracks (the 'new forest
cycle path' in osmeditor2):
foot=permissive; horse=permissive; bicycle=permissive; highway=unsurfaced

(Note that I use 'highway=unsurfaced' to denote gravel tracks or similar, both
in and out of the New Forest)

2. Other gravel tracks not accessible to bikes (the 'new forest track' in
osmeditor2)
foot=permissive; horse=permissive; highway=unsurfaced

3. Main paths, very well defined but definitely paths, not tracks:
foot=permissive; horse=permissive; highway=bridleway

4. Paths which are definitely recognisable as paths (not fire breaks, deer
tracks, rough/churned up forestry tracks, etc) but narrower than 3.

With this category the question is what to do with the 'highway' tag. I want
something to distinguish the fact that it's a *narrow* path. I had two ideas:

highway=small_path

or

highway=bridleway; width=narrow

Any comments on this?