[OSM-talk] Free the postcode maps

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 17:03:54 BST 2006

On 7/5/06, Joerg Ostertag <openstreetmap at ostertag.name> wrote:

> grab
> > >
> > > The "for a while" is my problem.
> > > Do you know any possibility to EASILY log GPS Data for more than one
> Day?
> >
> > Zaurus Linux PDA + Compact Flash GPS + "Cigarette Lighter" (12V) Power
> > Adapater, then tuck the bundle under cab's driver seat and ask him or
> > her to forget about it for a month...?
>
> Which Firmware do you use for it Zaurus-original/OpenZaurus?
> Which Logging Software do you use?
> How do you start logging without any "Driver interaction".
> Since the Zaurus /With active GPS) probably wouldn't keep batteries over
> night
> if it doesn't get 12V supplied.
> The other Problem is: Under the Driver Seat the GPS-reception probably is
> comparably poor. So I'd have to use an additional external antenna.
> What I'm thinking of was a box with a cigarett-lighter plug and a USB-plug
> for
> the GPS-USB Mouse which starts logging (to some Memory >500MB) as soon as
> 12V
> are available and stops logging if no power is available. That was the
> reason
> I started the NSLU2 project which should be under 200,- Euro:
> http://www.ostertag.name/GPSLogger/NSLU2_GPS_Logger.html
> But if i'd find a solution/combination which does similar and doesn't cost
> hell. I'll imideately try to get one.

The NaviGPS has this feature.  In the Settings menu change Ext. Power Source
to ON.  It will switch on when it gets power and switch off when it loses
power.

It also comes with a 12V cigarette-lighter adaptor as standard so you could
do this out of the box.  Add a 2Gb SD memory card and you can log forever.
And you'll have some change from EUR 200.

Etienne

One device I was looking at: