[OSM-talk] Postboxes

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 23:33:23 BST 2006

On 7/19/06, Phil Cole <filc at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> As I'm doing my mapping I'm noting locations of postboxes.  Postboxes
> seem to have a unique postbox number with the first segment of the
> postcode then a number, e.g.
>
> NW1 124
>
> After creating a node and marking it as amenity="post_box" I'm storing
> this in the ref field of the node.  Could this be used by
> freethepostcode to help mark postcode boundaries?

I dont think so.  From observation I think that postboxes are numbered
based on the first set of characters, so this the 124th postbox in
NW1, so the information isnt any more significant than another NW1
postcode.  If we had every single postbox we could interpolate and
extract boundaries, which would be interesting to do, but not that
practical.

It *is* hard to find information on your local postbox though, I have
often wondered where one is and not been able to find out, so from
that point of vietw it is another feather in OSM's bulging hat.

If you are mapping in NW1, I guess you are based in London.  We have
London meets every now and then, and OSM contributors from London meet
up quite often - come along to the next one.

Nick