[OSM-talk] Re: privacy policy

Tommy Persson tpe at ida.liu.se
Thu Jul 27 20:38:04 BST 2006

Joerg Ostertag <openstreetmap at ostertag.name> writes:

> On Thursday 27 July 2006 20:41, Tommy Persson wrote:
> > Martyn Welch <martyn at welchs.me.uk> writes:
> > > I disagree. It was no more hassle than signing up to any BBS or mailing
> > > list!
> >
> > Don't you have to click on a link that you get in an email?  Most
> > people now use white listing so you get a delay maybe up to an hour
> > between your registring and when you can edit.  If I was going to do
> > just some edits that delay would probably be a reason not to do it.
>
> Why should it take longer than 30 seconds to type in a captcha and click on
> the link in a mail you received? (Other than your MTA being miss-configured)

The first mail from a new address takes for our system for example 15
minutes to 1 hour to arrive.  I meant grey listning.

>From another univerity than the one I work at:

  http://www.daimi.au.dk/local/system/mail/grey-listing/

  What is greylisting
  Greylisting is a technology used on the IT-campus mail servers
  to significally limit the amount of spam reaching the users. It is
  enabled for all users.

  Does it have any negative consequences?
  Yes - if you receive email from new senders sent from machines
  outside theIT-campus network, the first email will get delayed for 10
  minutes to one hour typically. If you haven't got any emails from a
  specificsender for 3 months, this will happen again

--
/Tommy Persson