[OSM-talk] Re: privacy policy

Barnett, Phillip Phillip.Barnett at itn.co.uk
Fri Jul 28 11:29:27 BST 2006

Martyn has a point.

The legalities of copyright are not apparent to a casual user, hence the
FAQ. It's been suggested that a casual browser might want to quickly add
a streetname, or several, without taking the time to create an account.
It's very likely, in that case, that he/she won't have taken the time to
read/notice that he can't just copy names out of Google Maps, or
whatever, in a misguided attempt to be 'helpful' - which then breaks
copyright.

Secondly, OSM is difficult. I'nm trying to tidy up
Bloomsbury/Clerkenwell area of Central London, and am finding it heavy
going. There's a lot of unnamed streets, (all of them are, basically)
and no obvious points of reference, and not every street is mapped. I
can see a user picking the wrong street to name (off by one, perhaps,
and then naming the next half dozen streets adjacent to it from memory,
and making further errors because the fourth street along the road has
been missed off the map.

OSM mapping is difficult - I suggest we should be raising the bar to
participate, rather than lowering it, at least in the early stages.
Eventually, when 98% of the map is complete, it would be nice to get the
last few streets cleared up by the public, but when the base map is so
shaky, I don't think we should let someone who's attention span doesn't
even let them create an account potentially corrupt the data. It's not
Wikipedia.