[OSM-talk] Re: [OSM-dev] Standard place for planet.osm

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Jul 28 15:48:01 BST 2006

[Joerg Ostertag]
> These sound good.
>
>>   ~/.openstreetmap.org/planet.txt
>
> I know gpsdrive did the same, but it always bothered me to have
> Gigabytes of data in a hidden directory. So I'd like to move this to
> a visible directory.

What about leaving that choice to the user, and looking in both?  I
prefer to have program files in hidden directories, and the files I
work on in visible directories.

>  ~/openstreetmap.org/planet.txt

There is nothing forcing the user to select one over the other, and I
can pick ~/.openstreetmap.org/, while you can use
~/openstreetmap.org/. :)

> This sounds like the first useful suggestion. So, if i don't get any
> big protest, I'll implement it this way.

Great.  Btw, do not try to merge the files.  That should be left to a
completely different mechanism, to avoid surprises.