[OSM-talk] Aussie tagging

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 19:31:16 BST 2006

On 7/30/06, Dean Earley <dean at earlsoft.co.uk> wrote:

> > p.s. presumably having a set of map features for each country means that
> we
> > automatically get the localised colour schemes by using (e.g.)
> rue=autoroute
> > in one area and highway=motorway in another
>
> As I've stated before, I think this is a VERY bad idea as it means that
> EVERY renderer/processor needs to know about EVERY language to use the
> data sensibly and uniformly.
> This is a LOT of duplicated data.

Which is exactly why renderers are configurable.

A tagging scheme that is suitable for the UK is totally inappropriate for
other countries.  Unless the whole world is going to be mapped by people
from here then we had better start making it easier for people with
different native languages, different systems of road classification and
different cultures to tag their own areas their own way.

Etienne